1. Where is the Maldives located?
The Maldives is an archipelagic nation of 1190 islands scattered across the Central Indian Ocean, belonging to the continent of Asia. The closest neighbours to the Maldives are India and Sri Lanka.
2. What is the time difference?
The Maldives are five hours ahead (GMT +05:00) of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
3. How to reserve accommodations in the Maldives?
Resorts and Hotels operate websites through which you can directly confirm your accommodation. There are many licensed Travel Agencies and Tour Operators that provide booking services online and offline as well. International Tour Operators from various countries also facilitate travel services to the Maldives.
4. What is the most popular season to visit the Maldives?
The sun shining throughout the year, any time is a good time to visit the Maldives. Rainfalls occur frequently during June and July. From December till April, is considered as the dry season. During the dry season you can enjoy plenty of sunshine. The rainy season is perfect for surfers to ride the legendary swells.
5. How can I reach the Maldives?
You can reach the Maldives aboard numerous International Airlines that operate daily flights to the Ibrahim Nasir International Airport (MLE). See more on flights
6. How do I get around in the Maldives?
Once you reach the International Airport, you will be transferred to your chosen holiday island, through a local airline that operates flights to the regional airports or aboard a seaplane that operates flights to the resort islands or speed launch and ferry boat transfer to nearby destinations. Representatives of the resorts, hotels and travel agencies will help you with transferring from the airport.
7. What are the visa requirements to visit the Maldives?
The Maldives is one of the easiest countries to acquire a tourist visa, as any visitor with a valid passport will be granted a free 30 day visa upon arrival. See more on visa
8. What are the health requirements in the Maldives?
A visitor coming from a region where cholera and yellow fever is endemic requires an inoculation certificate from cholera or yellow fever. Children less than 1 year are exempted from this health requirement.
Visitors arriving within 6 days after leaving or transiting in countries with risk of yellow fever transmission, without obtaining a yellow fever vaccination certificate are subject to the vaccination upon arrival and will be quarantined for 10 days at their own expenses.
9. What are the prohibited and restricted goods?
It is prohibited to import religious materials offensive to Islam, idols (for worship), pornographic materials, narcotics and psychotropic substances and live pigs.
Restricted items include arms and ammunitions, alcohol and Spirits, pork and its by-products, dogs and dangerous animals unless authorised by the government. The Maldives Customs Service will confiscate any prohibited or restricted items listed here.
10. Is it allowed to bring pets to the Maldives?
It is not allowed to bring dogs to the Maldives. However, you can bring cats to the Maldives provided that the cat has been vaccinated for rabies and various other diseases, one month prior to visiting the Maldives.
11. What is the currency of the Maldives?
The currency of the Maldives is Rufiyaa. All the major international currencies can be exchanged at favourable rates through banks and licensed money exchangers.
12. What are the credit cards used in the Maldives?
Major International Credit Cards like American Express, Visa Card, Master Card and JCB Card can be used in the Resorts, Hotels, Restaurants and major Shops of the Maldives.
13. What are the languages spoken in the Maldives?
The native language of the Maldives is called Dhivehi. English is widely spoken in the country. Major resorts and hotels provide the services of translators, fluent in popular international languages.
The beautiful country of the Maldives welcomes everyone with open arms. Accordingly the Maldives is one of the easiest countries in terms of visa and immigration arrangements.
Any tourist from any nationality is granted a free 30 day visa on arrival to the Maldives. Hence, there is no need for you to undergo any hassle with regards to obtaining prior visa. Once you reach the airport, Immigration personnel will assist you with the visa procedures.
Obtaining Tourist Visa
The free 30 day visa is granted upon complying with the following procedures:
Visitor should have a valid passport or travel document authorised by a sovereign state.
Visitor should have a valid return ticket to exit the Maldives.
Visitor should have the financial capacity to cover the expenses for the duration of the stay or a confirmed reservation from a tourist Hotel or Resort in the Maldives. The financial capacity is measured by US$100 + $50 dollars per day.
The Department of Immigration and Emigration reserves the right to issue a visa for any number of days, not exceeding the 30 day limit. Immigration department reserves the right to deport any person:
Using the tourist visa to work in the Maldives
Participates or incites unlawful activities
Disrupting the political and religious harmony of the country
Becoming a nuisance to the public
Reputed airlines operate daily flights to the Maldives. Hence,
reaching the Maldives is an uncomplicated affair, aboard excellent airlines
offering world-class services. There are international and domestic airlines
offering air travel services.
The following is a list of International Airlines that operates flights
frequently to and from the Maldives:
1. Aeroflot http://www.aeroflot.ru/
2. Air Asia http://www.airasia.com/
3. Air India http://www.airindia.com/
4. Austrian Airlines http://www.austrian.com/
5. Bankok Airways http://www.bangkokair.com/
6. British Airways http://www.britishairways.com/
7. Cathay Pacific http://www.cathaypacific.com/
8. China Eastern http://www.flychinaeastern.com/
9. China Southern http://www.flychinasouthern.com/
10. Condor http://www.condor.com/
11. Edelweiss http://www.edelweissair.ch/en
12. Emirates http://www.emirates.com/
13. Ethihad Airways http://www.etihad.com/
14. Fits Air http://www.fitsair.com/
15. Fly Dubai http://www.flydubai.com/
16. Hainan Airlines http://www.global.hnair.com/
17. Hongkong Airlines http://www.hongkongairlines.com/
18. Korean Air http://www.koreanair.com/
19. Xl Airways http://www.xlairways.fr/
20. Maldivian http://www.maldivian.aero/
21. Meridiana Fly http://www.meridiana.it/en/
22. Neos http://www.neosair.it/
23. Oman Air http://www.omanair.com/
24. Qatar Airways http://www.qatarairways.com/
25. Sichuan Airlines http://www.scal.com.cn/B2C
26. Singapore Airlines http://www.singaporeair.com/
27. Srilankan Airlines http://www.srilankan.com/
28. Spice Jet http://wwww.spicejet.com/
29. Thomsonfly http://www.thomsonfly.com/
30. Transaero Airlines http://www.transaero.com/
31. Turkish Airline http://www.turkishairlines.com/